The APT engages in advocacy work at the United Nations and with States to strengthen the international legal framework on torture prevention and to make sure that the existing international law is implemented in practice.
More specifically we:
- monitor the work of UN treaty bodies, in particular the Committee against Torture and the Subcommittee on Prevention of Torture,
- provide written submissions to treaty bodies related to torture prevention,
- lobby for development of UN human rights standards or principles related to torture and torture prevention,
- encourage States to make recommendations on torture prevention during the Universal Periodic Review,
- encourage States to ratify the Convention against Torture and the OPCAT,
- organise and participate in events during sessions of UN bodies such as the Human Rights Council.