The Human Rights Commission was designated as the NPM coordinating body by the Crimes of Torture Act 1989. The coordinating role includes:
- Publishing of the NPM annual report
- Coordinating NPM policies and procedures
- Maintaining an online workspace for NPM institutions to share information
- Convening regular meetings of the NPM
- Assistingh with NPM monitoring
- Organising training activities
- Liaising with the SPT
The New Zealand Human Rights Commission works with the NPMs to identify systemic issues, as well as any potential gaps in the monitoring system.As the Central NPM, the Human Rights Commission does not carry out any visit to places of detention, nor accompany the other NPMs in their monitoring activities.
The institutions comprising the New Zealand NPM have designated specific persons or departments for OPCAT purposes.
Keywords: Internal Regulations