NPM Workshop in Mali
From 21 - 22 March 2007 the APT organized jointly with the National Human Rights Commission of Mali (NHRCM) a workshop on the OPCAT. The NHRCM has been assigned the task to act as a National Preventive Mechanism (NPM) under OPCAT. Therefore, the workshop had the following objectives:
- Familiarize NHRCM members with OPCAT obligations and implications
- Better understand the role of the NHRCM as a NPM
- Identify the needs and priorities for the NHRCM to fulfil their mandate as a NPM
- Draw up a plan of action for an effective functioning of the designated NPM
- Consider areas in which the APT could assist the NHRCM to fulfil its NPM mandate.