Training course for judges on torture prevention, Cuiabá, Brazil
APT will hold a two-day training workshop for judges of the State of Mato Grosso (in the central-west region) on the prevention of torture and ill-treatment.
The training will address:
- Legal safeguards in the first hours of detention, in particular the prompt presentation of a person detained before a judicial authority (custody hearings);
- The duty of judges to remain vigilant about any signs or allegations of torture and ill-treatment;
- The questions judges should ask in order to identify signs of torture and ill-treatment;
- Measures to follow up on a report of a situation of torture or ill-treatment and to secure investigation and accountability;
- Situations of risk faced by groups in situation of vulnerability when deprived of liberty, namely, women and LGBTI persons.
The training follows an initiative being carried out by APT to monitor the implementation of custody hearings in the State of Mato Grosso, assess the operationalisation of custody hearings as a tool to prevent torture and ill-treatment, and identify the main needs of judges to address and respond to possible situations of torture.
Where: Training School of Judges of the State of Mato Grosso (Tribunal de Justiça - Anexo Des. Athaíde Monteiro da Silva – Térreo – CPA - CEP: 78050-970 – Cuiabá – MT).