APT is awarded the 2007 Chico Mendes Resistance Prize
On the 30th of March 2007, the APT was awarded the Chico Mendes Resistance Prize (Medalha Chico Mendes de Resistencia) by the Brazilian organisation Tortura Nunca Mais.
During the ceremony in Rio de Janeiro, Mr. Hugo Lorenzo, an APT Board Member, received the prize on behalf of the APT from Ms. María Margarida E. Pressburger of Ordem dos Advogados do Brasil.
The 19th Chico Mendes Resistance Prize was granted to the following persons and institutions in 2007:
- Rita de Cássia Benchimol (1945-2007), political and social activist, film director and actress.
- María Dolores Pérez-González, scientist, human rights defender, Secretary of the Grupo Tortura Nunca Mais.
- Augusto Boal, theatre director and University Professor.
- Carmela Pezzuti, former activist against Brazilian military dictatorship (1964-1985).
- Dom Erwin Krautler, Bishop of the Brazilian State of Pará, indigenous rights advocate.
- Miguel Baldez, union and social activist.
- Rede de comunidades e movimentos contra a violencia, institution of resistance to police violence.
- Luiz Alberto Andrade de Sá e Benavides, Bebeto (1942-1972), political activist.
- Raimundo Alves de Souza, o Raimundao, journalist and political activist.
- Olney Sao Paulo (1936-1978), filmmaker.
- Marina Dos Santos, social activist and leader of the Movimiento Sin Tierra.
- Association for the Prevention of Torture.